Monday, November 16, 2009

Through the eyes of a 5-year-old

145344 149

Last Christmas Brookie got a kids’ camera. You know, the kind you can throw down the stairs and run over with the car. She took pictures all through the holidays and into the new year. She asked us a few times if we could put the pictures on the computer but I couldn’t find the cable and I seemed to always get distracted with the monotony of the daily grind. So, long story short, we finally found the cable and actually took the time to download her photographs. Brookie sat beside me and we edited them together. The above are some of my favourites . . . especially the last one. It is a mirror. Is it just me or does this child have a good eye for line and light?

When we finally cleared all the pictures off the camera, Brookie had a renewed interest in capturing that perfect shot. I suggested that we could go out together for a photo shoot. Brookie took her camera and I took mine. Together, we wandered the neighbourhood and snapped away at anything that interested us. The following are some of those photographs.

 042   032 031029037 

There are two things that I absolutely love about Brookie, the budding photographer. Mostly, I think it is amazing that she gives me a glimpse of life from her perspective through every shot. Incredible. She sees beauty in things that I would just pass by. This is truly fantastic. The other thing about it is that Brookie literally squeals with excitement after every flash. She takes a picture, looks at it and then calls excitedly for me to come and see. She loves to take pictures. That is also truly fantastic. Nothing in this world could be better than seeing your child fill up with awe, confidence and joy as she discovers her talents and interests. Fantastic.

~Mandy

2 comments:

Paul/Dad/Pops said...

"It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary."
David Bailey

ama and bops said...

I love the picture of the mirror, Brooklyn. I think I will get your Mom to send it to me and have it hardcopied. It's a keeper. Good eye!! Ama