Friday, September 25, 2009

We have a dream . . .

Our Paris Jar 3

 

Open Scene: A quiet living room, two people (mother and daughter) sitting together as the lights come up . . . 

Brookie – I would like to go to Paris one day.

me – So would I. We should go together.

Brookie – Can we? Just you and me?

me- Sure. Why not? That would be so much fun. We should do it.

Brookie – And we can see the Eiffel Tower and speak French.

me – Yeah . . . (pause) . . . it will cost quite a bit of money. We will have to save up.

Brookie –  (Pause) I know. We should make a Paris jar to save our money in.

me – Good idea.

Brookie – And I can put all my money from my piggy bank in it. I have a lot of money in there.

me – Okay. That would be a good start.

Scene change – the dining room table, complete with jar, markers, labels, piggy bank

Brookie – It looks beautiful. We will have to fill it right up to the top.

me – Yep. And maybe even more than that.

Enter Rosie, Stage left, wearing something only she could wear.

Rosie – What are you guys doing?

Brookie – We are making a Paris jar for our trip to Paris, just mommy and me.

Rosie – But I want to come too!! (tears pending)

me – Well, maybe Rosie could come if she wanted to help with saving money . . .

Brookie – Oh, alright.

Rosie – I have money in my piggy bank – I’ll get it!

Rosie exits stage left and returns seconds later with a big, plastic, pink pig.

Rosie – I’ve got it. I can open it by myself.

Rosie, with some help, cracks open the bottom seal and pours out the money.

Brookie – Okay, Rosie. Put it in the jar.

Rosie - (Looking solemnly at her pile of coins) I will give you some of it but not all. I want to save up for a new party dress.

End Scene, to the sound of a few pennies dropping into the jar.

So begins the Paris jar. Who knows, maybe we will save up enough to take a wonderful trip together and maybe Brookie and I will stand on the Eiffel tower, drinking in the Paris lights. Maybe. But regardless, making the jar together was juste merveilleux!

1 comment:

ama and bops said...

Paris is called the city of light because of all the white stone buildings. But I call it the city of dreams. So keep dreaming Brooklyn. And dream big, because dreams really can come true. Ama loves both of you so much and can't wait to see you experience the adventure that lies ahead.
xxxx