Friday, February 26, 2010

Honesty, thy name is Rosie

So Sean has occasionally gone across the road to our elderly neighbour’s house and helped to shovel her snow. It is his pleasure and it doesn’t take too long, usually, but of course Shirley is always very thankful. She has taken to delivering little treats to us. We have received a delicious pie, chocolate chip cookies and most recently, Valentines Day sugar cookies with chocolate hearts and a little card. It was so sweet (literally) of her and so the girls and I talked about what we could do to say thank you back.

We decided that better than a sandwich (which was Rosie’s initial idea and which probably had something to do with the fact that we were making sandwiches at the time of our discussion) would be a thank you card. So we got out the markers, crayons and paper. Each of the girls made a special, colourful card and signed them.

Later that day, I sent the kids over to give Shirley the cards. Before they left we practised what they should say and how to behave. It seemed like they were ready so away they went.

Moments later, they returned and as they stripped off their coats, I asked them how it went. “Good,” Brookie said. “What did you say”, I asked. “I said we were there to give her these cards and Rosie said we were giving them to her because she is old.”

Yes – Rosie did. And I guess in a round about way, she is right. I tried to explain that old people know they are old. We don’t need to tell them. But I have a feeling Rosie will say what she wants when she wants to. I am just glad Shirley has a sense of humour.

~Mandy

No comments: