Friday, February 26, 2010

The Importance of Manners

Not too long ago, our little family was having breakfast together. It was a lazy Saturday morning and I had become a short-order cook, letting everyone choose their favourite breakfast. Brookie wanted waffles but Rosie had decided on cheesy scrambled eggs. Sean and I settled on poached. While I worked the waffle iron, I asked Sean to handle the egg orders. In a whirl of chaos, we managed to pull all the breakfast orders together at relatively the same time, complete with sausages and fruit and juice.

When the girls sat down at the table, Brookie dove right in but Rosie paused after only one bite of her eggs. She screwed up her face and said, “Ummm . . . excuse me but I wanted cheese in these eggs.” I immediately felt like I had lost whatever tip I had been hoping for. After explaining that Daddy had in fact put cheese in the eggs, she quietly mumbled, “well, I can’t taste it.” Apparently the ratio was not to her satisfaction.

Brookie looked up from her near-empty plate and thanked us very politely for her breakfast. We encourage this kind of unforced show of manners and so I praised her for doing it. Not to be outdone, Rosie piped in with this little gem: “Daddy, even though I don’t like the eggs, I thank you for them.”

And what can you say to that?

~Mandy

No comments: