Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Saskatchewan Tradition - Snow in October!!

We woke up on Thansgiving morning to find our world had been covered in a blanket of white, sparkly snow. Of course, the novelty of snow has worn off for me. I am unfortunately left with thoughts of bundling up two small children, cleaning off the car, unbundling two small children, wet floors, more laundry and rebundling said small children. But who among us can resist the feeling of surprise and excitement when we see again the first snow of the year? Well, I can't. Brookie and Rosie couldn't either. And so we found ourselves exploring our world of white not long after breakfast.

Our neighbour, Lloyd, was unveiling his prize-winning pumpkin. I can't remember exactly how big it is but it took three people to move it. We couldn't pass up an opportunity to get a picture with Caronport's largest pumpkin.

Brooklyn and Rosie posed for a picture just outside our house.

We thought this tree, blooming with fluffy snow, was so pretty against the blue sky.
No matter how you feel about snow and winter, that first clean, graceful covering of snow seems to remind us of really good things - things too beautiful to even put into words. And then we move into the "My hat is itching me", "My mitts fell off", "My feet are wet", "My mitts fell off again", "I'm cold" and "Can we go inside now?" stage. But for those first precious minutes, it is glorious.
~Mandy

2 comments:

Paul/Dad/Pops said...

The Winter Pokey
to the tune of "The Hokey-Pokey"
You put your right mitten in,
You take your right mitten out.
You put your right mitten in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the winter pokey, [shiver]
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your left mitten in....
You put your right boot....
You put your left boot....
You put your long scarf in....
You put your warm cap in....
You put your snowsuit in....

ama and bops said...

The magic of winter is that the fluffy branches and giant snowmen are here for an instant and then gone. I'm sure it's God's way of reminding us to live in the moment. This moment will never be duplicated again. Soak it up.
love Ama and Bops xxx