Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hallowe'en Night in Caronport

This Hallowe'en, we decided that for purposes of warmth, Brookie would do another year as a ladybug and Rosie could be Winnie the Pooh. At first, Rosie was fine with that arrangement but when she saw the costume and realised that there was nothing pink or frilly about Winnie the Pooh, she refused. I mean there were tears and she fell prostrate on the floor, repeating over and over, "No! Not Winnie the Pooh!"
After trying out a number of other ideas with similar results, I finally decided to leave the costume entirely up to her. We opened the dress-up chest and I told her to decide what she wanted to wear. She came up with a "girl Zebra" which consisted of the zebra costume from last year paired with a very pink skirt. So we hit the streets of Caronport with a ladybug and a girl zebra. I went as a cat and Sean was a tired college professor.

Before we left, our little girl zebra had a quick nap in preparation for the main event

Here are the girls "post make-up" and already into the candy


Sean and his two girls

The trick or treaters in the car, filled with anticipation

It turned out that Brookie only made it to two houses before she asked to go home. She was feeling sick. So I took her bag and continued to collect candy for her by using the line, "I have a sick ladybug at home. Can I get some candy for her?" Thankfully everyone understood and the girls got lots of treats to last them well into the new year.
~Mandy

2 comments:

Paul/Dad/Pops said...

Ladybug - for Brook

Lady bug wears
A red cape.
It opens up
And changes shape -

Now two wings lift her
into the air.
I wish I had
Such a cape to wear!

Paul/Dad/Pops said...

For Rosie - Zebra Questions

I asked the zebra
are you black with white stripes?
or are you white with black stripes?
and the zebra asked me,
Is a sandwich bread with filling in it?
or filling with bread around it?
Is the sky blue with cloudy patches?
or is it cloudy with blue patches?
Is a circle a ring with space in it?
or is it space with a ring around it?
Is a tiger brown with yellow stripes?
or is it yellow with brown stripes?
And on and on and on and on,
and on she went.
I'll never ask a zebra
about stripes
Again.