Monday, March 26, 2007

Baking Beauties

Every now and then, The girls and I will decide that it is high time we baked some cookies. So we each put on our aprons (mine doesn't have my name on it, unfortunately) and begin the chaotic and often messier than you can believe task of measuring and mixing our cookie ingredients. Lately, the girls have really been into peanut butter cookies, which is great as there are only three ingredients to measure. We can usually get these finished before I enter the "why did I think this would be a good idea?" phase of the baking process.


Here are the girls posing before the actual baking has begun


Now things are starting to get more fun - the official tasters are on the job

And here, Rosie - the queen of tasters - is pausing between fistfuls of dough to give me an angelic yet impish look


So we bake cookies because, well, they are delicious. But more than that, it is time to laugh and chat together about life. Brook can take a lick of the beater and then procede to tell me why she loves spring so much, that she would like to take a train to Ontario and sometimes it makes her sad that she can't actually be a dog. Rosie cracks us up with her crazy dance moves and adds her protests about the dog thing by barking. I like to imagine that when the girls are older and possibly less forthcoming about the things that make them sad or fill them with joy, we will still bake cookies together and maybe in the silence, while we stir, measure and pour, they will share a bit of their lives with me. And maybe we can just laugh together and eat dough. For now, I am enjoying every moment with my baking beauties. ~Mandy

3 comments:

ama and bops said...

Mandy you do make me cry. Surprise! Surprise! So many wonderful memories and so many more to come.

ErinOrtlund said...

Love it! I have the same thoughts while baking with Kate, ranging from "What a great bonding time!" to "Why did I think we should do this together?" LOL.

ErinOrtlund said...

PS. Cute aprons!