Thursday, March 8, 2007

A Lesson from my Daughter




One of our favourite activities to do together (especially when it is -30 outside) is colouring. Inevitably, Brookie will do a number of pictures for her "far away family" so I will have her sign the pictures (I can't believe she can print her own name!) so we can send them in the mail.


The other day, Brookie drew this beautiful rainbow "hole". I told her how great it was and then asked her to put her name on it. She looked at me and replied, "I don't need to put my name on it, Mommy, because this one is just for me."


I was immediately struck by how much of our lives are spent trying to make others happy, even creating beautiful things for others, and frankly, after a time, it just isn't fun anymore. So my daughter reminded me of how important it is to do/make things for our own enjoyment every now and then. It isn't selfish or wrong. It is pure, unadulterated pleasure. I hope she can always save the occasional masterpiece for herself. ~Mandy

No comments: